Friday, March 15, 2013

Working in Tunisia





After a little more than two months here, I'm happy to announce that I found work in Tunisia. I will be a story editor at Tunisia Live, a fantastic independent website serving as the country's only English-language news outlet. I have been a huge fan of TL for at least a year, and am grateful and excited to be a part of this small but vital initiative. I will be one of a small group of native English speakers working in a predominantly Tunisian enterprise, and I will enjoy subjecting them to my toddler-level Arabic conversational skills.
I can't imagine a better way to become fully versed in the intricacies of Tunisian politics, culture, and economics. Knowing what's going on here won't be just a hobby, but my job. This aspiring Arabist should be able to claim some genuine area expertise in the near future. Tunisia Live also serves as a hub for foreign journalists, think tankers, and other such people when the come to the country, and I look forward to harassing these nice people with obnoxious questions.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to find such a job, and it also means I will not have to return to the US next month. I initially bought a return ticket for early April, but fully intended to stay here longer if at all possible. Now that I will have a few dinars coming my way each month, I can stick around. It really would have been a disappointment to go back to the US after only a few months here. I know it's going to be many more months before I develop any real confidence in my Arabic, and 2013 will surely continue to be a fascinating time for Tunisia. A constitution may or may not be approved, an election may or may not happen, and this society will continue to grapple with the rifts and complexities brought to the fore during what will ultimately be a long transition toward a functioning democracy.

I'm also glad that I'll spend a Spring and Summer on the shores of the Mediterranean. Michigan's nice and all, but I might get a bit spoiled out here. Apparently strawberry season is almost upon us as well - I'm told it's something to look forward to. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. That certainly excellent internet site you might have clicking here. The problem is very enlightening along with immediately to the point. Enthusiastic to read simple things more details on your site next occasion.

    Best Cardsharing

    ReplyDelete